Heat Stroke can be fatal.
Heat Stroke is when your body’s core temperature rises above 40°C (104°F) .
Your body’s cells begin to break down and important organs stop working.
You become mentally confused, have rapid shallow breathing (hyper-ventilating) and will loose consciousness.
Without treatment you will develop, multiple organ failure, brain damage and die.
This is much more serious than Heat Exhaustion
Signs and symptoms of Heat Stroke
- High body temperature 40°C (104°F)
- Heavy and profuse sweating which suddenly stops – your body is unable to produce more sweat and has become over heated and dehydrated
- Rapid heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Cramps in your muscles
What you must do
- Move the person to a cool area
- Give them as much air as possible – open windows, use air-conditioning or a fan
- Give them plenty to drink
- Do NOT give them any form of medication – painkillers etc.
- Shower the skin with cool, not cold water, immerse them in a cool bath, or cover them with cold wet towels or sheets and direct a fan over them to create evaporation
- Gently massage the skin to encourage circulation
- Beware they may start to have a fit or seizure, remove all danger and support them from injury.
- If they start to have a seizure do not put anything in their mouth
- If they loose consciousness and begin to vomit, protect their airway by putting them in the recovery position
- Call 999 / 112 for an ambulance
- If they stop breathing begin Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation